An exciting voyage of discovery, unraveling the Rivers of west Africa
- Incredible bird-life
- Wonderful wild life on the river bank
- The Bao Bolong Wetland Reserve
- Native markets
- A trip in a traditional pirogue
- The school funded by Variety Cruises’ clients
- The incredible Gambian people
This is a cruise with a difference, deep into the interior of West Africa along the length of the Gambia River. In many ways it’s a chance to follow in the footsteps of famous Explorers and discover the ‘dark continent’ at a leisurely pace, stopping at traditional fishing villages and colourful bustling market towns.
The first part of the itinerary runs along the Atlantic coast of Senegal and Gambia. Then we enter the river Gambia and sail 240 miles upstream, discovering the fascinating and hugely varied rich flora, fauna and bird life along the river banks. En route we make regular stops at towns and villages brim-full of amazing local colour and some of the friendliest people you can imagine. In all honesty it’s a unique experience that you can only make on a small vessel. And what a vessel you have – Harmony G, total air-conditioned comfort and exceptionally spacious wide decks from which to observe Africa sliding past.
Ports of call: Dakar – Banjul – Gambia River– Kantaur - Gambia River National Park – Kaur – Tendaba – Djiffere – Janjanbureh
Reliable sunshine is virtually guaranteed throughout the year, with temperatures ranging from the low 20s in winter and up to the high 20s or even low 30s in the height of Summer. The climate generally provides warm or hot days with cooler nights and virtually no humidity
DAKAR / SENEGAL
Late afternoon embarkation. Sail to the Saloun River Delta. Overnight at sea.
DJIFFERE – BANJUL
Morning arrival at Sine – Saloun. Optional excursion to Djiffere and Joal Fadiouth. Fishermen Night.
BANJUL – ABUKO NATURE RESERVE
Morning half day excursion to Bakau. Late afternoon to “Kunta Kinteh” and sail to Tendaba. Mediterranean Night in Africa.
Reach Tendaba by motor pirogues for a morning optional excursion. Optional excursion to the Bao Bolong Wetland Reserve. Overnight in Tendaba.
GAMBIA RIVER – KUNTAUR – RIVER GAMBIA NATIONAL PARK
Early afternoon arrival to Kuntaur. We board a large motor pirogue for a 3 hour optional excursion on The Gambia River. First we will head to Baboon Island, one of the islands in the Gambia National Park. Overnight in Kuntaur.
KUNTAUR – JANJANBUREH – KAUR
Morning optional excursion to Janjanbureh. Through the generosity of Variety Cruises and of its guests, a new school building is being built. Afternoon visit to the fishing village of Kaur, before we sail downstream to Banjul. Captains Farewell Dinner.
KAUR – BANJUL
In the morning we will anchor at St. James Island in the Gambia River, which is a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site. Optional walking tour. Afternoon arrival in Banjul and sail to Dakar. Gambian Night with Kora instrument Concert
Early morning arrival in Dakar. Disembarkation after breakfast.
The Harmony V is a modern elegant yacht with a sleek high-tech look very similar to the private yachts found in the famous ports of the world. A spacious lounge with classy seating and an American Bar leads into a dining area decorated with warm colours. Both areas offer large windows providing for the most beautiful views of all destinations to which the vessel cruises.
The 200 m2 sundeck offers a shaded outdoor area for all day dining, and a bar as well as sun chairs and loungers. The swimming platform on Harmony V’s stern will allow for easy access to the water for a wide range of sea related activities.
The 56 meter long / 8.4 meter wide Mega-Yacht was launched in June 2009 and complies with Eurosolas safety regulations. Its powerful engines, generators and state of the art twin stabilizers will allow for safe and comfortable cruising.
On board Facilities
- One sitting for all meals
- Indoor & Outdoor Restaurant
- Indoor & Outdoor Lounge & Bar
- Audiovisual in Lounge
- Beach Towels
- Snorkelling equipment
- Board Games
- Swimming Platform
- Windows in main and upper deck cabins
- Portholes in lower deck cabins
- Triple Occupancy cabins: Category A
- Flat-Screen TV
- Individually controlled A/C
- En suite bathroom with shower
- Telephone for internal use
- Central music
1 Double Bed
2 Lower Beds or 1 Double bed
2 Lower Beds or 1 Double Bed
The category A cabins are located on the main deck offering large windows, an en suite bathroom with shower and elegant Corian finishing on walls and floors. The cabins are equipped with flat screen TV sets, DVD players, mini fridges, hairdryers, individually controlled A/C and safe deposit boxes.
1 Double Bed or 2 Lower Beds
The Category P cabins are located on the Upper Deck offering a sofa, large windows, an en suite bathroom with shower and elegant Corian finishing on walls and floors. The cabins are equipped with flat screen TV sets, DVD players, mini fridges, hairdryers, individually controlled A/C and safe deposit boxes.
External Dining Area
Cruise & Stay Option
If you’re new to this part of the world it really would be a shame not to extend your stay for a few days to really get acclimatised to the rich and colourful experience.
You can immerse yourself in the local ambience by extending your stay in 5* hotels in either Dakar or Banjul with our 1 night pre-cruise and 2 night post-cruise stay in Dakar at the Radisson Blu Sea Plaza, or 2 night pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise stay at the 5* Kairaba hotel in Banjul. These packages are designed to fit perfectly with the flights to both destinations.
Special Offers And Deals
Book your flights with us to ensure full financial protection for your holiday.
|Your flight inclusive holiday with us is financially secure as we are ATOL licensed and the full package is ATOL protected.
We have been trading since 1995 so with over 25 years under our belts, you can book with total confidence.
- Accommodation in your chosen grade of cabins with private SH/WC & air conditioning.
- Mini fridge, and flat screen TV with complimentary movies
- Full-board meals including an American buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Welcome Cocktail, a local themed party night, fun BBQ (weather permitting) and Captains dinner
- Regular (filter) coffee, tea and still mineral water, plus fresh fruit are available with our compliments all day
- Use of fishing and snorkelling equipment and sea kayak (subject to availability).
- English-Speaking Cruise Director
- Flights & transfers when cruise is booked as a flight inclusive package
- Beverages except regular (filter) coffee, tea and still mineral water
- Shore excursions or other land arrangements at ports of call
- Passengers’ personal expenses.
- Wi-Fi which is available at a charge
- Gratuities which are optional and should be made centrally at the hotel reception desk to be distributed throughout the crew – we recommend Eur10-14 per passenger per day
- Flights & transfers if cruise is booked for independent travel
From London Heathrow to Dakar via Madrid. Approximate duration 8 hours.
ATOL protected by the Civil Aviation Authority. Our ATOL number is 9511
Dakar airport to harbour approximately 30-45 minutes by car.